As always, google has done a wonderful job on documenting the initial start up well. http://source.android.com/ is a very well documented site. I have been able to start off on building the open source code fairly easily with the steps mentioned. I’ll mention a few tips here that are over and above the documentation.
I am using ubuntu, eclipse and have hello world on android 2.1 working.
A few tips
– repo sync takes a long time, 6-8 hours with no progress bar. So give it time.
– importing the project, dont use “import”, do what they say in the doc exactly. New-Java Project-Import from existing files.
– you may get a error when the project is being created
An error occurred while creating the Java project
Build path contains duplicate entry: 'frameworks/base/vpn/java' for project
* to fix it, open .classpath file in your project home directory
* comment out any one of the following two lines
Your import and build should work. It took 20 mins on my box (core 2 deo, 4Gb Ram)