Conversion to Dalvik format failed with error 1


Using android on eclipse can be frustating sometimes.You create a new
android project and just cant get it to build, run or clean out the errors
eclipse shows up. Most of all, you can get vague errors like the below.

Conversion to Dalvik format failed with error 1
Could not *find* HelloAndroid.*apk*
Updates (from 0.9.1. to 0.9.5) dont work, vague error there too some
org.eclipse.something is not linking (google, if you are hearing, just do a
google search out there find out the issues people are facing). Uninstalls
dont work.

Did a research :), to figure out how to fix it. Found many that
helped, found many that did not. And I am not alone there.

So this is what I did and it worked.
– Close all projects
– Restart Eclipse
– Uninstall both Android under Help-SoftwareUpdates
– Restart Eclipse
– Uncheck all under Help-SoftwareUpdates-AvailableSoftware, except the
dl-sslgoogle one, install it
– Restart Eclipse
– Create a new project now, same problem eh!! 🙂
– In the root directory of the project you just created, open the .classpath
file. Change it to the following

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?>
<classpath>
<classpathentry kind=”src” path=”src”/>
<classpathentry kind=”src” path=”gen”/>
<classpathentry kind=”output” path=”bin”/>
<classpathentry kind=”con” path=”com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.ANDROID_FRAMEWORK”/>
</classpath>
– Main Menu – Project – Clean
– Project Explorer – – Right Click –
Properties – Android – Check Android 1.5 – Hit Apply (a lot of magic happens
in the console tab on the project)
– Project Explorer – – Right Click –
Properties – Java Build Path – Libraries – Verify if you see a “Android 1.5”
and not a “android.jar”.
*The only way to add a “Android 1.5” is to edit the classpath file. Google,
you should fix this. It would be nice to know what “Android 1.5” signifies
here, a jar, external jar, variable, class folder, external class folder or
library(usability issue, think about it, how do I add a Android 1.5 from UI,
no way now right). Also it would be nice if the create new android project
would fix this automatically.*

Logged a bug on android, http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8162

Advertisements

One thought on “Conversion to Dalvik format failed with error 1

  1. Did some more research. It seems like one of the following fixed the issue this time
    1) I had android.jar and Android 2.1 in the Java Build Path of the project. Removed android.jar.
    2) Added this line to the .classpath file. I guess this added the Android 2.1 set to my java build path on project properties.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s